Saturday, December 4, 2010

2010 Cookie Bake....

**Author's note: Amy, Carolyn (my nieces and fellow family bloggers) and I decided that we would each blog about this event. Amy commented that it would be interesting to see what each of us decided to write about. I declared that we must each complete our own entry before reading the others' and Cara suggested that we be creative; not just 'report' what happened. I hope you like my take on the weekend.

**********************************************************************************

Carolyn told me she read a book once that made her wish the she lived in a clan. Then she realized she did. We all have different last names now but we are a clan. In the Gormley clan we have:

The Media, PA Tanseys: Dave and Paula who are often accompanied by a Mount Holly or a Philadelphia Pollum. Alas, the two very distinct (and truly awesome if I do say so myself) Pollums were not able to join us this year.

The Kissimmee, FL Gentiles: KT and JL who get the prize for travelling the farthest to be with us each year!

The Clinton, NJ Cawleys: Meg and Nathan. The Cawleys came with Pete, Lisa, Nicole and Brielle all of whom have become part of the extended clan in recent time.

The Ephrata, PA Gormleys: Being the largest natural segment of the clan they are - Thomas, Jill, Amy, Cara, Elizabeth (Bippy), Kim, and Robbie (Roo).

The Norfolk, VA Gormleys: Michael, Victoria (Tori) and Abbi. This clan gathering marked the first time in well it was debated but it was agreed that it was at least 18 years that all six of the original Gormley's were in the same place at the same time. Oh and by the way it also happened to be Michael Gormley's 44th birthday.

The Lansdowne Anderson/Hollands: Christine, Amanda & Erin and Bruce, Amanda's boyfriend.

Here are some snippets of things heard over the two day clan gathering... (some of these are my own words but the gist is true to what someone actually said. My apologies to the originial speakers.. I just couldn't remember the exact words)

"What kind of car did Al Capone have? answer: Black..... Your other left.... We are leaving at what time?.... The single men's dormitory.... Did anyone check to see if we're all here?... I counted to 24, hopefully it's the right 24.... I'm a Shady Maple veteran..... Don't sit on the outside of the photo.... What's the score of the Villanova game?..... Olders in the back, youngers in the front... the steps aren't wide enough for three and three.... I need a 1 cup measure... There's room in the 350 degree oven... Does anybody know what that timer was for? ..... Why is that batch of rolos flat and this one is puffy....... Where's Kim?..... I need a cookie sheet.... If you are not going to play the game by the correct rules then go play somewhere else so we don't have to watch you..... Beatles..... If we don't get enough pictures of the 6 siblings, we'll blame it on Paula..... it's snowing.... who are these people?.....i'm really not good at cookie baking -- to which Carolyn replied without missing a beat, You are good at Thanksgiving dinner (thanks Cara!).... There are 200 and some rolos; we need 120 for the cookies... how many did you eat? ...  can I have a broken cookie? .... did I get a hug yet? ... so do you like your new android better than your old iphone? .... my plane isn't going to BWI....I wonder what's going to happen to Ethan next...

Here is a link to my pictures. I took over 130 of them... i've narrowed it down to 99.

4 comments:

Amy Dashwood said...

AWESOME post, and though I haven't seen Cara's yet I think you won the creative award. The whole "don't look till you're done your own" thing was a good idea, 'cause I would have plagiarized a lot of what you said if I hadn't waited to read it! "If you are not going to play the game by the correct rules then go play somewhere else so we don't have to watch you." LOL! Who said that? You forgot just one quote: "Can somebody please beat Nathan at chess already?"
Pictures are great too! I love the one of you and Robbie and the bear.

Amy Dashwood said...

Oh, and the "I hope I counted the right 24" was hilarious too! I'm glad you were paying attention to what people were saying... because I had forgotten half of this stuff!

Dave-Paula Tansey said...

Thanks Amy. I'm going to go read yours now.

It was your Dad who said "If you can't play the game by the right rules..." I paraphrased but that is what he said when Tori and Erin were playing chess. Tori was beathing Erin but was 'being nice' and letting things happen that shouldn't.

Jill said...

Paula,

Thanks so much for taking so many pictures and for posting the quotes from the 2 days. We had a great time and are so glad everyone (who could) was able to come.
Merry Christmas!
Love,
Jill