Saturday, July 30, 2011

Reminders

These past two weeks have been a bit stressful for me. I organize the running group USAFit/Philly and although I know you can't please 100 people 100% of the time it seems that the past two weeks have brought more complaints or issues than usual and I was really starting to doubt why I was doing this or if I wanted to continue past this season. Then today, I remembered why and it's all ok now.

We had our group pot luck picnic today. Just as it sounds, everyone brings something to share and we sit around after our group miles and visit. It was very hot today but we managed to find picnic tables in the shade and the humidity dropped so it was very nice.

I was sitting down just taking it all in at one point and one of our new members sat down across from me.
"I'm sorry," she said. I frowned at her and asked "Why?" "I didn't go out with the group today. I worked out at the gym but I came to the picninc anyway". This woman has issues with asthma and today's air quality was only marginally better than last week's heat index of 110. Actually I think the humidity today was worse. So I assured her that she absolutely should be at the picnic she's part of the group. She made a smart move working indoors today.

"But I really want to do the Philly Rock and Roll Half in September. I'm not sure I'll make it if I keep missing workouts. So we chatted for a little bit. I listened and then reminded her that she finished 9 miles to weeks ago and with 7 weeks left before the half marathon (13.1 miles) she has plenty of time to get there. I rememeber when she did her 9 too.. she looked great that day. She was alone that day...which was odd... but she finished it and did it well. I reminded her of that too. She smiled and said, "Thank you".

And THAT's why I do this. If she's the only one I help this season it is totally worth it.

No comments: