Thursday, May 5, 2011

Run with Dean

Although the title says "Run" I chose to put this post here instead of my training blog because it's not really about training or a race. Although I did take away one very important concept today that I intend to incorporate into my running (and life) effective immediately. (I'll tell you when I get there).

Today I took a vacation day from work. I have to thank my boss again on Monday because when I first decided I wanted to do this (about 2 months ago) I checked my work calendar only to see that I was scheduled for a presentation today. I explained to her what I wanted to do and she was very supportive in changing my schedule so I could take off today. Today Dean Karnazes was bringing his Run Across America to Philadelphia. Run Across America is a 3000 mile 75 day adventure across the United States to raise money for Action for Healthy kids fighting childhood obesity. The trek started in late February. Dean Karnazes runs 40-50 miles a day and in select cities stops for a 5k fun run with locals. I decided I really wanted to be part of this. So I took the vacation day.

I'm not sure where to begin. This man is absolutely amazing. I think the thing that struck me the most was his grace. If I had been running for 70 days; 40-50 miles a day .. well let's face it I'd probably be dead... but  after just 1 day and 26.2 miles I can be tired and cranky. If you've followed the blog for this event you'll read that sleep is not always easy. Yet, he was so genuinely gracious despite likely being tired and worn out and everyone clammering for photos and wanting to talk to him. So the thing I intend to incorprate into my runs and life is to be more gracious. I tend to go inside myself after mile 18 or too many hours in the day; I'm not mean (I don't think) but I do tend to get real quiet even when with a group after a certain number of miles (or hours in the day). If this guy can be this nice with what he's doing.. i can manage a little more nice in my life.

Dean talked to the group before the run. Someone asked "How do you do it - run across america?". He replied "One step at a time". He also said, "It doesn't matter whether you finish first or last as long as you have fun". Now these may or may not be original quotes but they were said with sincerity and left you feeling that he realy believed it. Another question "What are you going to do when this is all over". He laughed hard and said "I think I'm going to do 50 states, 50 couches and 50 pizzas". For my non running friends and family that's a reference to Dean's 50 Marathons in 50 States in 50 Days feat accomplished a few years ago.

So it was time for the run. We started under the watchful eyes of the Eagles Cheerleaders, the Temple Owl and Hip Hop. Dean started in the middle of the pack and went out a nice easy jog. I was just to his left and stayed that way for about 1.5 miles or so when he stopped for a bit to talk to some folks. I enjoyed just listening to him chat with people. Everyone had a story to tell and he listened and responded to all of them. The kids were the best. You could tell they were his favorite. One little girl, 9 years old, talked to him about her races. In the end, she thanked him for talking to her and for making her day. He replied, "Oh no you made mine!" The smile on her face was priceless.

Here is a link to some photos of the day.

No comments: