Saturday, January 9, 2010

Goofy Challenge Vacation Day 3 - The Half Marathon

Our alarms went off at 3 A.M. I ate breakfast and dressed for the race then we piled into KT and JL's car and headed to Epcot; the gathering spot for the start of the race. Let me just say that at 3 A.M. it is still very very dark out. Despite the early wake up call we all seemed to be functioning quite well.

We were able to park at Epcot and walked to the Family Reunion Area SM-Z. Our plan was to meet at the letter U (for USAFit/Philly) as my running group friends would be there too. Shortly after arriving there the announcer called for runners to start making their way to the start corrals. So after hugs all around Dave, KT and JL headed in one direction and I and my running friends - and about 25,000+ other runners headed in the other direction. It was about a 20 minute walk to the start corrals. I separated from the other USA/Fit Philly runners at the Port-o-Potties. I didn't need them and the smell is more than I can handle.

I'm guessing that I arrived at Corral E about 5:00 a.m. The wheelchair division would start at 5:40. There was a lot of talking and music during the wait. One couple was pulled aside allegedly for a trivia game and instead he proposed. She said yes and the crowd roared their approval. Cool but awfully risky on his part. One moment that sticks in my mind is the moment of silence for soldiers killed in the war. It's amazing to hear all those people go silent. Corral E was part of the third wave to start the race. I didn't see the clock at the start but I'm guessing it was about 20 minutes into the race. I was not running for time today; just to finish in the alotted 3.5 hours to qualify for the first half of Goofy.

I had my camera and tried to take picture as I went. I did not take the pictures that most would expect I think but that's ok with me. I was glad to have my own digital camera with a wrist strap rather than the Disney provided one without. With the strap I was less concerned about dropping it.

The first 5 miles were in the dark and that made pictures difficult. The volunteers along the route were awesome. The spectators too. If you ever have the opportunity to go to a race to support family or friends; please do so. It makes all the difference. Even spectators you don't knwo can make the day. I was lucky to have three people out there just for me. KT, JL and Dave made signs yesterday for the race. I was not allowed to see them (nor did I want to)before I would see them in the run today. Here is a picture of them after the race with their signs.

Unfortunately I didn't really see them during the race. The first spot we caught up with eachother was about mile 8. I had been looking for them (although I forgot what they were wearing so I was wondering if I would find them even). Just as I approached them (but not knowing that of course) a runner next to me was having difficulty and wondered out loud where the next aid station was. He didn't sound in distress but still when I hear that I can't just ignore it so I asked. Turns out he had a belt that holds your bib so he did not have the pins that most of us had ............... and his belt had broken. He needed a safety pin to keep his belt from falling off and he figured the aid station would have one. As it was he was holding it togther with his hand thus causing his elbow to stick out getting hit by other runners. So as I passed my personal cheering squad I was trying to get a pin off my bib to give the to the guy. When I heard them screaming my name the pin was open but tangled up in the bib. If I let go it was likely going to stick me. So I looked over and tried to acknowledge them but couldn't stop or wave. I saw the signs and my name but that was all. I did see them again just before the finish.

I have to say that it's a question who is goofier; me or them. I ran 13.1 miles but they trudged around in it. I had the advantage as far as keeping warm goes. I owe them a lot of thanks... they are awesome. And as soon as we arrived home - despite being chilled to the bone - they were busy chatting excitedly about tomorrow. I'd say they are almost looking forward to it.

Now a word about the chilly weather. "They" say it never snows in Florida. "They" includes my sister Katie who lives here as well as most of the news and weather sources all day yesterday. Well it just goes to show you, Never Say Never. Although it was 40 when we left the house this morning the temps continued to drop and on our arrival at Epcot sleet and icy rain began to fall and yes at one point it was snow! No accumulation to speak of but it was snow! As they announced before the race; it has been very warm for the Disney races (always in January) and it has sometimes been cold but this is the first time it snowed. This only added to the awesomeness of the day. (Did I mention I had a lot of fun).

So here are some of the other highlights (in no particular order except the order I remember them)
- Aproaching the entrance to Magic Kingdom
- Approcahing the Castle
- Running through the Castle; even though there were some crazy folks running AGAINST' the flow of traffic; i guess to get their pictures taken but really... it was very narrow and not a good idea to do that.
- The excitement through the Magic Kingdom; the energy there was awesome. I know I picked up the pace there unintentionally
- Seeing all the characters. I didn't take many pictures although I could have. I was nervous about waiting in line and losing my momentum. I was not racing but I was fearful of losing whatever steam I had and not making the required time to qualify for my Goofy medal.
- The burma shave style signs by Sharpie (one of the sponsors) along the less populated parts of the route; one in particular I took a picture of just for Emma (see below; it has to do with Einstein)
- The volunteer from Boothwyn, PA wearing a Phillies Jacket (see below)
- The volunteers
- The spectators
- Between spectators, volunteers and the sharpie signs the miles really flew by.
- Running backstage; behind the scenes... there wasn't anything to see there... it's just the fact of doing it
- And so much more. I'll probably be talking about it for a while.

View some pictures here.
Pictures from the cheer squad point of view (thanks KT!)

To see a my thoughts from a training pespective visit my training blog.

2 comments:

Jill said...

Congrats Paula on day one of the race...you're amazing for wanting to go AGAIN tomorrow! Hope it goes well - and that you have better weather. Hugs to you and everyone else!
Love,
Jill

Unknown said...

Paula.
Looks like you had a fantastic time despite the weather...good for you. Loved the signs by your awesome fan club too. Have a fantastic time on the sister's cruise!