Friday, August 17, 2007

Media, Everybody's Hometown

Click here to see a video about Media. I don't know how long the site will be active but it's a great video created by a local resident as part of a contest.

I mentioned Second Saturday in an earlier post. We also have two Super Sundays, fall and spring; three music festivals - A Blues Stroll, Jazz Festival and Roots Ramble; one food festival; garage sale day and more. We have a trolley that runs down the main street which also has lots of neat shops and restaurants. My favorite is 10,000 Villages. You can find such interesting gifts there and every time I go they have new stuff! It's fun to just walk through! And that's saying a lot for someone (me ) who doesn't really like to shop!

A favorite place to eat is the Trolley Stop. We have a tradition of going there for breakfast before we start out on a multiple day road trip. Then there's Deals an old fashioned five and dime store. Nothing is five or dime anymore but if you can't find it anywhere else, look in Deals! We have an great ice cream store, O'Malleys and of course not too far away from the main drag is a Rita's and a Starbucks.

The old armory building - where the Bastille Day celebration was staged - is now a Trader Joe's on the second floor and a veterans museum on the first floor. Haven't been to the museum yet and Trader Joe's is too froo-froo for me.

That's enough for now. I'll tell you more as the year goes on and events happen.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very nice video about Media...brings back some old memories of going there when I was younger!

Nate's Dad said...

I voted for Media in the contest since (predictably) my home town of Bethlehem, NJ was not in there. My favorite memory of Media is Bill Battey Sporting Goods, an old time sporting good store where I used to get my hockey skates. It's been around a lot longer and is probably more friendly than the big boxes like Sports Authority.

Anonymous said...

Anonymous,

I wish you had said where you live now.

Anonymous said...

Bill Battey's is still there and still supplying local athletes with gear and school kids with gym shorts and shirts. One of my children - when very very young - called it Beatle Bailey's once and the name still surfaces around our house from time to time.