Monday, June 29, 2009

Amtrak Trivia

I haven't posted too much lately about anything let alone our trip. Here is some fun Amtrak Trivia from the Amtrak Website.

"There are 45 station stops on the Empire Builder — the most of any Amtrak route."
Ok that's cool. If we are going to do this we should go for big.

"Seventy pounds of 22-karat gold leaf adorned the 96-foot barrel-vaulted, coffered ceilings in Washington Union Station. "
I've been there several times and never really noticed that. We have alomst 2 hours layover in Union Station in DC. I will look closer this time!

"At the time it was built, Washington Union Station covered more ground than any other building in the United States and was the largest train station in the world."
Interesting.

2 comments:

Amy Dashwood said...

I went to Union station just a few weeks ago, for the first time, and I was overwhelmed! I DID notice the gold leaf, and it's beautiful. Interesting facts here; I'm eager to hear more about your trip! (And I'm also eager to see dozens of pictures when you come back!)

Dave and Paula said...

Thanks Amy. We purchased a new digital camera yesterday. The old one was unreliable and getting worse. I did not want to chance that on the trip. So there should be lots of pictures to share! I hope to practice with it between now and then.