Saturday, July 12, 2008

Lake Placid

On Wednesday, July 9 Molly (a coworker) and I went to Lake Placid for the Northeast Regional Associatin Executives Conference. This was a whirlwind tour. We left Philadelphia by train at 6 a.m., and returned to Philadelphia at 11:30 pm on Friday. In between we attended a day and a half of seminars.
The train stops in Albany both ways to switch engines and crews. This guy's girlfriend really wanted to get back on the train. He was fascinated however with the re-coupling of the engine and wasn't ready to leave! I thought it was pretty neat myself. I took a series of pictures of the whole process.
This is the staion at Westport, NY. From here we took a van to Lake Placid (About 45 minutes away). We spent a fair amount of time at this station due to the fact that the train was over an hour late on Friday! It was also a half hour late arriving on Wednesday. According to the van driver and the station staff this train is always late. They really should change the timetable I guess! It was a cute station indoors too. All wooden and quaint. The bathroom had a sign that more or less said - This building has old country like plumbing. Use care or we will all be using port-a-potties!

Lake Placid was the sight of the 1932 and 1980 Olympics. The images from TV seemed so large and yet here we were right in the middle of it. Here is the rink where miracles really do happen, the speed skating oval (sans ice since it is July) and the ski jump off in the distance. We drove past the ski jump on the way in. Those people must be crazy to ski down and jump from something so high! I commented on how cool it was to be in the same building where the US beat the Soviet Union, how exciting that game was..blah blah blah ... "Don't ya think?" I asked Molly?.... "I don't know, I wasn't born yet" she said. UGH!
We had a good trip. The seminars were informative, we met some new people and I got to see snow in July! :)


1 comment:

Nate's Dad said...

Do you believe in Miracles? I was playing hockey (my first go round) while the US was beating the Russians. It seems like yesterday but I was Nate's age! It really sux when the kids are studying stuff we lived thru in History class.