Sunday, May 4, 2008

Use the word 'flied' in a sentence....

Go ahead I dare you. Use the word 'flied' in a sentence that is not about baseball. If you can - and the sentence doesn't sound truly awkward - let me know.

We went to the Phillies game on Wednesday night (They beat the Padres). I noticed that anytime a batter hit a high fly ball which was caught for an out the scoreboard would read he "Flied out to right" or wherever. Now, if I were to say that my husband went somewhere last week by airplane I would say "He flew to ..." Or if someone were to go past me on their bike or on foot very quickly I might say "That person flew past me..."

So if you can find an everyday (aka non baseball ) sentence that uses the word flied, I'd be very curious to read it.

The game on Wednesday was the 125th anniversary of the first Phillies game every. Contrary to what the children may tell you, I was NOT around for the first one. I thought there would have been a bit more fanfare. As it was they had a man who has been with the Phillies since 1947 throw out the first pitch.

During one of the inning breaks the scoreboard showed a "Bankable Moment" courtesy of Citizens Bank. This was done while they awarded one row of fans with Citizens Bank t-shirts. The 'moment' though was clearly from the Vet. I question the appropriateness of a Bankable Moment when it didn't happen at Citizens Bank Park. I told Dave I felt I should write a letter about that.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Here is my sentence,

"Robbie just said to me, 'A plane flied over the airport!"

:)