Sunday, October 21, 2007

MS Walk Day Two

Day two started with a buffet breakfast. Then it was on to 8 school buses to head to the park where we would start the day and walk through Kennett Square to Longwood Gardens.







This day had more rolling hills than day one. The weather was still gorgeous. We walked about 12.5 miles on day two plus the 16.5 on day one brought us to a total of 29 miles. The walk was billed as 30 miles. Somewhere along they way we lost a mile unless you count the walking around the hotel on Saturday night; made easier by the way with the flip flops that each walker was given as they arrived. Once you take the sneakers off they aren't ready to go back on for a while.
Some had to be tapped, wrapped and band aided to make it on day two but as far as I know everyone made it. The MS Society had scooters available for assistance or you could call for a SAG (safety and gear) wagon to drive you a mile, to the next rest stop or to the end if you really needed it. I don't know of anyone that used that service. The last person to leave the start site each day put a red bandana flag in their pocket. If they passed someone they passed the flag as well so that the last walker was easily identified. At the end of the day the first walkers arrived at the tent in Longwood Gardens around 1:00 p.m (we started about 9:30 a.m.) and the last walker arrived about 2:15. At Longwood we were greeted once again by cheering volunteers, crew and -this time- by family members who arrived early for the closing ceremony. Dave was in that line up! :)









While we waited they fed us (you could NOT starve on this weekend) and some of us danced. There is a high that comes from all that exercise and the loud music helped keep everyone' spirits up. I'm sure - as I did - many of us crashed early that night though.
All in all it a was a fantastic two days. I'm glad I was part of it. I may do it again next year. If I do, I want to have a team. So if you are interested let me know. The walking part is easy, it's the fundraising that's tough!
Thanks to all who supported me in so many different ways! You helped me be part of something really rewarding and fun. I could not have done it without you.

No comments: